För att jämföra två saker som är likvärdiga, använder i oss av mönstret:
as + adjektiv som indikerar kvantitet + (substantiv) + as
Vilket adjektiv som används beror på om substantivet i jämförelsen är odelbart eller delbart.
Använd as many och as few med odelbara substantiv. Notera att substantivet kan uteslutas när det är underförstått i kontexten, som i det sista exemplet under.
- They have as many children as we do.
- We have as many customers as they do.
- Tom has as few books as Jane.
- There are as few houses in his village as in mine.
- You know as many people as I do.
- I have visited the States as many times as he has.
- I have three brothers. That's as many as you have. ("brothers" is understood)
Använd as much eller as little med delbara substantiv. Notera att substantivet kan uteslutas när det är underförstått i kontexten, som i det sista exemplet nedan.
- John eats as much food as Peter.
- Jim has as little patience as Sam.
- You've heard as much news as I have.
- He's had as much success as his brother has.
- They've got as little water as we have.
- I'm not hungry. I've had as much as I want. ("food" är underförstått)